Vegan Traditional Banana Tea Loaf
A Traditional banana tea bread but Vegan! You don't need fancy ingredients to create the best vegan banana tea bread. This Banana Teabread is springy, moist, sticky and light. Smells like toffee while its baking!
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Servings: 14 Slices
Bread Loaf Tin
- 230 grams Self raising-flour, Sieved
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 60 grams Vitalite Margarine
- 115 grams Soft Brown Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 medium Bananas Use very ripe bananas for best flavour, can use bananas that have dark skin patches! Mash bananas till smoothish.
- 2 tbsp Flax Meal Alternatively if not needing to be vegan, use 2 lightly whisked eggs.
- 5 tbsp Water Using a fork mix the flax meal with this water to create a flax egg. I added 3 tbsp cold and 2 tbsp boiling water and left it for 7 minutes to get gooey.
- 4 tbsp Soya Milk
- 25 grams Banana Chips Just to decorate the top after baking and to serve a few with the bread for added crunch. Check the ingredients don't include honey. As honey is not vegan.
- 1/4 tsp Sea or Table Salt
Prepare a loaf pan. The one I used was about 12 in long and 4 1/2 in wide. A pan roughly the same size would be fine. Grease the pan well or line it with baking parchment. I just greased it with lots of vitalite. Preheat the oven to 160 Fan/180 Celsius/350 fahrenheit/Gas mark 4.
Add the sugar and margarine to a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or hand whisk till thoroughly creamed together.
Add the flax egg you prepared earlier. Beat or whisk till combined.
Add the mashed bananas and mix.
Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt
Using gentle folding motions mix all together. Don't whisk or beat.
Scoop the mix into the prepared loaf pan. Gently smooth out the top.
Place into the oven on the middle shelf. Never use the top shelf as tea bread will likely brown to quickly.
Bake until risen, dark golden and a skewer/toothpick/knife dipped in comes out clean.
I use a fan oven and my tea bread was ready after about 43 minutes. Depending on your oven it could take 60 minutes or a little bit longer. Check after 40 minutes as it could be perfect!
Enjoy the smell of banana toffees permading your home!
Remove from oven and leave tea bread to cool in its tin for 30 minutes.
Remove from tin and leave till completely cool on wire rack. Wrap up in tin foil and leave for at least 1 day. This is important as the flavours will be much more delicious!
Serve with slathers of vitalite margarine or your usual spread. Delicious also with chocolate spread, peanut butter and sliced bananas, jam or just plain with a nice hot drink.
Will keep for up to a week wrapped in foil and kept in a cool, dry place. May keep longer but just use your own judgment as its freshness!